A parallel point can be made about markets in healthcare: the US system does exceptionally well at the top end of provision, but does no better than the NHS on average, costs a lot more, and maintains huge inequalities (see references below).
Some places to start on markets in healthcare, and especially the NHS:
- Ben Goldacre's summary of NHS reform
- The Commonwealth Fund's comparison of health care systems
- OECD comparative data
- Cost vs outcome analysis of the NHS vs the US health system, based on OECD data: (i) life expectancy; (ii) low infant birth weight
- US healthcare inequalities
- Civitas's summary of recent empirical work on the effects of internal competition in the NHS